Are you stuck with a pair of AirPods without a case and want to connect them to your iPhone? This is a very common situation that might seem very complicated. However, in reality, it is very simple.
A lot of people don’t know but it is actually possible to pair and use AirPods without a case in an iPhone or iPad. In fact, the case doesn’t have Bluetooth technology and plays no role in keeping the AirPods connected.
Apple AirPods are the preferred mode of audio output for iPhone users. They are connected to the device wirelessly using a Bluetooth connection. The AirPods come in a sleek case that has three primary functions:
- Charge the AirPods.
- Hold and protect the AirPods intact.
- Pairing of AirPods to a device for the first time.
Apart from these, the case of the AirPods has no role in the usage. It is used to charge the AirPods wirelessly. You only need to put the pods in it. It serves the function of a power bank for them.
Along with this, you need the case while pairing the AirPods to an iPhone for the first time. However, if the AirPods are already known and paired to a device, the case isn’t needed for the connection.
Simple Method (Trick) to Connect AirPods without the Case
If you have previously paired the AirPods to your iPhone, and want to connect again without having to use the case, you can use this method:
- Access the Control Center by swiping down from the top right-side corner of the screen.
- Now press and hold the audio card on the top right side of the Control Center.
- When it is enlarged to its full view mode, tap on the AirPlay icon.
- Finally, tap on AirPods from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
Your iPhone will then pair with the AirPods and you can use them without any hassle. However, if the AirPods don’t show up in the list, it means that either the AirPods don’t have enough battery, or you haven’t paired them before.
How to Pair or Connect AirPods to iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch?
If you haven’t paired the AirPods to your iDevice yet, here is the method you can use:
- Put both the AirPods in the charging case.
- Now open the lid and check if the status light is amber.
- Next, press and hold the setup button. It is present on the back of the case.
- After a few seconds, the status light will flash white.
- Now go to the home screen of your iDevice.
- Open the case with your AirPods kept inside and hold it next to your iPhone.
- A setup animation will appear on the screen, tap on Connect, and then tap on Done.
That’s it. If you are having trouble connecting the AirPods, go to Settings and try forgetting the AirPods from the Bluetooth devices list.
Can you connect AirPods to the iPhone when you have lost the case?
Yes, you can easily connect the AirPods to the iPhone without the case if you have lost it. However, you will need the case when the battery of the AirPods runs out, and you need to charge them.
If you don’t have the case or have lost it somewhere, you can get a replacement one from the Apple Store. You can also buy a case from eBay for a nominal price of $50-$90.
AirPods can be set up and paired using any case. Just make sure there is no version difference.
If you didn’t read everything written on this page, here is the gist of it:
The case of the AirPods is only required when connecting to a device for the first time. However, if you have connected them previously and the AirPods aren’t unpaired, you don’t need the case to connect the AirPods.
Literally just does not connect, have almost never used the left ear bud aka if it doesn’t have a full battery then either someone has used my AirPods or the battery is broken
Or your method simply does not do anything to connect the air pods without the case being charged
Nope. The Airpods dont show up in that list. so, we’re back to needing the case again.