TikTok, owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, has already achieved so much in a comparatively shorter period of time. To understand what worked so well for this massively popular short-form video social media platform, let’s take a look at these TikTok stats, facts, and insights.
ByteDance launched Douyin in China separately in September 2016. Later, they released an international version of the app in September 2017, naming it TikTok. However, the audience that TikTok wanted to target was majorly captured by Musical.ly, which was another short-form video sharing platform launched in 2014.
So, ByteDance bought Musical.ly for a whopping $1 billion and merged it with TikTok. After that, TikTok became colossally popular and has gained more than 3 billion downloads. TikTok and Douyin are still running as separate apps, have similar features and user interfaces.
However, they aren’t identical as both are customized for their respective markets. TikTok has become one of the most used apps on Android as well as iOS globally. It crossed the 1 Billion monthly active users mark in September 2021.
ByetDance’s TikTok only took five years to cross the feat that Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube took eight years to achieve.
TikTok Facts and Statistics About Users & Usage
TikTok now has more than 1 Billion monthly active users and has been downloaded more than 3.3 billion times globally. These figures are surreal as the app is banned in multiple markets including a major one, India.
However the tale doesn’t stop here, we have more to reveal here. Check out these fascinating TikTok facts and stats about users and usage:
- Internet users are watching 167 Million TikTok videos every minute.
- TikTok users spend more than 850 minutes per month using the app on average.
- TikTok was the most downloaded app globally in 2020 and 2021.
- More than 90% of TikTok’s downloads are on Android, except for in the USA where there are more iOS users.
- Entertainment is the most popular category on TikTok by hashtag views.
- TikTok offers the highest Social Media Engagement Rates per post with 17.96% while Instagram is second with 3.86% and YouTube with 1.63% on YouTube.
- 9 out of 10 TikTok users are using the app multiple times daily.
- Chinese developers took more than 200 days to develop the original version of TikTok, Douyin.
- Within a year of development, TikTok was amassing 1 million video views per day.
- 68% of TikTok users claim to have watched somebody else’s video in the last month, while 63% have also liked the video.
- 63% of TikTok users claim to have followed someone last month while 55% of the users have uploaded a video, and 43% have uploaded a “Duet” video.
- TikTok was the 3rd fastest growing brand worldwide in 2020, and 6th in 2021, according to the Morning Consult.
Most Popular TikTok Video, Most Followed Person, Trend, and More
Who is the most followed person on TikTok?
Charli D’Amelio, an American dancer and Internet personality is the most followed person on TikTok with over 136 million followers on the platform.
Italian comedy star Khaby Lame is a close second with around 131.8 million followers, while Bella Poarch is third with 88 million followers.
Who is the most followed Hollywood celebrity on TikTok?
Will Smith is the most followed Hollywood celeb on TikTok with 66.1 followers while Loren Gray is second with 54.4 million followers, Jason Derulo is third with 51.3 million, and The Rock is next with 50.5 million followers.
Which brand has the highest followers on TikTok?
Guinness World Records is the most popular and followed brand on TikTok with 11.3 million followers. Red Bull is second with 5.2 million and Roblox is third with 3.9 million followers on TikTok.
Which is the most popular and viewed video on TikTok?
Zach King’s Harry Potter Illusion is the most viewed video on TikTok with 2.2 billion views.
James Charles’ Christmas Wonderland Transition is second with 1.7 billion views, and Zach King’s other video Hide and Seek Illusion is third with 1.1 billion views.
In 2021, Mia the Cat completing an obstacle course was the most viewed video with 184 million views.
Which video has the highest likes on TikTok?
The TikTok video with the most number of likes is by Bella Poarche where she is lip-syncing to “M to the B” with over 55 million likes.
Here is a list of the top 10 most liked TikTok videos:
|Rank||Videos||Number of likes (in millions)||Upload Date|
|1.||Lip syncing by Bella Poarch||55.3||18 August 2020|
|2.||Incredible Drawing by Franek Bielak||49.2||28 December 2020|
|3.||Lip Syncing by Nick Luciano||48.4||23 February 2021|
|4.||“Time Warp Scan” filter by Billie Eilish||38.3||11 November 2020|
|5.||Peeling a banana by Khabane Lame||36.2||14 April 2021|
|6.||Cat pawing at the camera by British Promise Cats||35.2||17 June 2020|
|7.||Baby by Demi, Dae, and Josh||33.9||2 December 2020|
|8.||Don’t break the handle by Khabane Lame||33.3||14 April 2021|
|9.||Kitten Running by ninachristine15||31.9||1 January 2021|
|10.||Lioness hugging her owner by fxxkmin17||30.6||5 February 2021|
Which is the most popular trend ever on TikTok?
Zoom Meeting Mishaps is currently the most popular trend on TikTok.
You can check out the list of the top 10 most popular trends on TikTok here:
|TikTok Trend||TikTok Creators||Tags||Original Sounds|
|Zoom Meetings Mishaps||thiswellplannedlife
Buttercup – Jack Stauber
original sound – MemePlug
|Dating in your…||jamiejukesuk
|Dating in your…… – Jamie Buckley pt and actor|
|Videos Living in Your Head Rent-Free||tally_nawrocki
|Tell Me Without Telling Me||paytonnlaynee
|#tellme #tellmewithouttellingme||Stop trauma dumping on this lol
Sneaky Snitch –Kevin MacLeod
original sound – Stacey
original sound – Josh G
|#goodsoup||good soup – MARVEL FANS|
|He, He, He||brodalorian
|original sound – tdenning|
|Mama Said That It Was OK||abbieherbert_
|#mamasaid||Mama Said – Lukas Graham|
|#sheesh||Sheeeshhh – King Julio|
|to the salon – 76.2K mushrooms|
|Learn on TikTok||thefoldinglady
|#learnontiktok||No specific one|
Which is the most popular song/sound on TikTok?
These are the 10 most popular songs and sounds on TikTok that are used the most:
- 1. “Alors on Danse” by Stromae
- 2. “Beggin” by Måneskin
- 3. “How You Like That” by Blackpink
- 4. “Touch It (Remix)” by Busta Rhymes
- 5. “Leave Get Out” by Jojo & DB99
- 6. “Get You The Moon” by Kina Feat. Snøw
- 7. “Astronomia” by Chiky Dee Jay
- 8. “Unlock it (Lock It) [Jeff Prior Mix]” by Charli XCX
- 9. “Good 4 U” by Olivia Rodrigo
- 10. “9 PM (Till I Come) ” by ATB
What is the most popular category on TikTok?
These are the top 10 most popular categories on TikTok:
- Entertainment – 535 billion hashtag views
- Dance – 181 billion hashtag views
- Pranks – 79 billion hashtag views
- Fitness/sports – 57 billion hashtag views
- Home reno/D.I.Y. – 39 billion hashtag views
- Beauty/skincare – 33 billion hashtag views
- Fashion – 27 billion hashtag views
- Recipes/cooking – 18 billion hashtag views
- Life hacks/advice – 13 billion hashtag views
- Pets – 10 billion hashtag views
- Outdoors – 2 billion hashtag views
Who is the highest earning TikToker in the world?
According to Forbes, Charli D’ Amelio was the highest TikToker in the world earning a whopping $17.5 million in 2021.
Her older sister Dixie D’Amelio is the second highest-earning TikToker with over $10 million, while TikTok celeb Addison Rae is third with $8.5 million.
Who is the most followed Pet/Animal Influencer on TikTok?
TikTok has a long list of Animal influencers who are giantly popular among fans. The most followed pet or animal influencer is a Tiger known as Kody Antle with almost 22 million followers and more than 298 million likes.
Here is a list of the top 10 most followed pet or animal influencers on TikTok:
|Name of Account||Type of Animal||Followers||Likes|
|Stryker The Cat||Cat||7.9M||100.5M|
|I am Bunny||Dog||5.8M||116.2M|
|Doug The Pug||Dog||5.7M||86.9M|
|Huxley the Panda Puppy||Dog||5.5M||80M|
Those are some crazy figures!
Financial TikTok Stats About Earnings & Revenue
TikTok’s earning graph has also risen directly with its rapid increase in popularity. The total revenue for TikTok in 2021 was around $58 billion which saw 70% year-on-year growth from $34.3 billion.
According to Sensor Tower, TikTok was the top-grossing non-gaming app in the world in February 2021 having more than $110 million in user spending. Later, TikTok became the top-grossing app in the world for the year 2021.
Around late 2020, ByteDance, the parent company behind TikTok and Douyin, was valued at $180 billion, which is significantly up from the $78 billion valuations in late 2018. BytyDance’s gross profit also upped majorly to $19 billion in 2020, and then again in 2021.
In 2022, ByteDance is planning for Initial Public Offering (IPO), which is currently being delayed for multiple reasons.
Average Earnings of TikTok Users
Pew Research conducted a survey in 2021 on the use of online social platforms by U.S. adults which revealed that TikTok is relatively evenly popular among people from various income spectrums.
22% of TikTok users are earning under $30k, 29% are earning between $30k to $49,999, 20% are earning between $50k to $74,999, and 20% are earning more than $75k or above.
Another survey from MarketingCharts revealed that over 37% of TikTok U.S. users belong to households with $100k income or more. However, TikTok is also very popular among low-income households as 18% of its users are earning less than $25k per annum.
TikTok Demographics 2022: US, UK, Australia, Canada
TikTok is available in 154 countries globally. Out of those, it is in the top 10 apps in 124 countries, and in the top 50 apps in 140 of them. TikTok is also available in around 75 languages. However, a number of regional languages could have been removed as the app is now banned in certain markets.
TikTok is massively popular in many Asian countries and has a very high penetration rate. It has the following user base in these Asian countries:
- Indonesia: 87.5 million users
- Vietnam: 39.7 million
- Thailand: 35.6 million
- Philippines: 33.0 million
These numbers only include TikTok users aged 18 and above. However, there are many younger users who regularly use the app.
In Europe, TikTok had around 102 million installs in 2021, which is the most by any non-gaming app. It bagged the third-highest revenue in Europe, only behind Tinder and Disney+.
In the U.S., TikTok has more than 84.9 million active users, which is considerably up from 66.5 million in 2020. Most of the U.S. TikTok users are young, and 32.5% of them are aged between 10 to 19 years. Whereas, 29.5% are aged between 20 to 29 years, according to Statista.
In China, Douyin has over 600 million active users while it had around 200 million active users in India when it got banned. The highest reach for adults on TikTok is available in Saudi Arabia.
Gender Balance on TikTok
According to WeAreSocial, the gender balance of adult TikTok users worldwide is dominated by females than males. Around 56.1% of TikTok users are females while only 43.9% are males.
In the U.S., TikTok is significantly more popular with females than with males. Around 61% of U.S. TikTok users are female while 39% of them are male. Indonesia and the Philippines are some other regions with particularly evident female followings with 66% and 65.9% respectively.
In the Arabian region, the gender balance of adult TikTok users is dominated by males than females. The percentage of male users on TikTok is the highest in these countries:
- Bahrain 61.3%
- Egypt 64.1%
- Kuwait 60.1%
- Oman 66.6%
- Qatar 71.8%
- Saudi Arabia 61.1%
- The United Arab Emirates 70.7%
- Turkey 63.1%
The figures in Pakistan and India are even more surprising. Around 80.7% of Pakistan’s TikTok users were male, while around 90.5% of Indian TikTok users were male before the Government banned the app.
TikTok Fun Facts & Controversies
Now that you have gone through the most crucial TikTok stats and insights, it’s time to freshen up your mind by taking a look at some fun facts and controversial incidents related to TikTok.
- Globally, more than 900 apps have spawned worldwide after the popularity of TikTok that follow the same concept, and most of them are offering to download videos.
- TikTok’s support base is widening as it is not only a platform for short music videos and lip-syncing now, you can also find a vast variety of content.
With the amount of social media apps putting a bigger focus on video content, you may have guessed the future of social media looks a whole lot like TikTok 😳 https://t.co/WYDPkn0b3L pic.twitter.com/wmGpNWh834
— Paul Ellis ⚡️ (@paulgellis) February 11, 2022
- As an example, the #ThinBlueLine hashtag featuring law enforcement videos has amassed more than 2.7 billion views.
- The Indian Government had to ban TikTok twice- first in 2019 due to concern that TikTok featured content that is not suitable for all sorts of audiences but they later had to uplift the ban and then banned the app permanently in 2020 along with 59 other Chinese apps due to political tension between the two countries.
— JÛLy🥕 (@LaLisalovemee) January 1, 2022
- The Trump-led U.S. Government also considered TikTok as a threat to national security and warned to ban the app.
- Later, the Government was forced to sell its U.S. operations to Microsoft, Walmart, and Oracle, and move out of the country.
- However, when Joe Biden became the president, he withdrew Trump’s agreements, and TikTok is still operating finely in the country.
- The most popular dog on TikTok is Husky while the most popular cat is Dragon Li (the Chinese version of a tabby).
- The most popular type of duck on TikTok is the Call Duck.
- TikTok was the most used social media platform for kids in 2020.
- TikTok was also the most blocked app by parents for their kids worldwide.
- In February 2021, Justin Beiber held a TikTok Valentine’s Day live stream. This was the first full-length single-artist live performance on the platform.
.@justinbieber’s “Journals” Live-stream performance has already surpassed 100,000 viewers on TikTok BEFORE the performance has officially started. (Countdown)
— Justin Bieber Stats (@statsonbieber) February 15, 2021
- It gained more than 4 million unique viewers over two-day broadcasts on Sunday and Monday.
These are all the interesting TikTok stats, facts, and insights that we wanted to tell you about. Let us know which one was the most astonishing for you.