The macOS Monterey is an upcoming version of macOS. The all-new version of macOS was unveiled in June 2021 at WWDC. The releasing date of this new OS is set to be on 25th Oct 2021. Since the WWDC, the Beta version of macOS Monterey was released on some eligible devices but not all features were disclosed.
If you are looking up to the release of macOS, its features, and downloading process, you are at the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss everything about macOS i.e. its release date, new features, how to upgrade, or is it even worth upgrading?
What is macOS Monterey?
Apple is about to release the all-new version of its operating system called macOS Monterey. This is the successor of macOS 11.
The macOS Monterey, which was first shown out at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this year, will now be available to anyone with compatible Macs. With the new operating system, users will have access to a variety of new features and capabilities, including universal remote control, AirPlay to Mac, and an upgraded Safari browser with tab groups and increased privacy safeguards.
When is macOS Monterey Releasing?
The all-new macOS Monterey will release on 25th October 2021 on the supported devices. The device which is getting the update will be discussed later in this article. The date of release was confirmed in the event of Apple which took place on 18th October 2021.
The release date was expected because Apple usually releases new Operating Systems in October. Not breaking their habits, macOS will be released in October.
Features of macOS Monterey
Apple is claiming that “macOS Monterey brings new ways for people to connect, get more done, and work more fluidly across their Apple devices”. This appears to be an upgrade that will attract consumers who own several Apple devices, such as the iPad and iPhone, based on what we’ve seen so far.
Some features, however, will only be accessible on Macs with the M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max models, indicating that Apple is already moving away from Intel-based Macs. Here are some features that will roll out with macOS Monterey.
- Universal Control – This convenient tool allows you to switch between Mac and iPad using a single mouse and keyboard. Using a trackpad on your MacBook will allow you to easily navigate to your iPad. Files may also be dragged and dropped between iPads, MacBooks, iMacs, and other devices. There’s no need to set anything up; simply place your devices close to one other and move your mouse between them. This may turn out to be one of macOS 12 Monterey’s most valuable new features.
- FaceTime – The way we work and interact has changed dramatically in the last year, and video calls are now more crucial than ever. As a result, it’s great to see Apple updating FaceTime calling in macOS 12 Monterey with new features. This includes spatial audio support (a prominent feature of Apple’s WWDC 2021 keynote), which means that the audio should seem like it’s coming from the person’s position. Another feature is Voice Isolation, which uses machine learning to remove background noise and make speech clearer and simpler to comprehend.
- Airplay To utilize your Mac as an audio or video output, you may now use AirPlay on your Mac.
- Tab Groups in Safari – As a result of the Tab Group functionality in Safari, you may set up separate bookmark folders for work and personal. iCloud keeps Tab Groups synchronized across all of your devices, so you can access them from anywhere. You may, for example, organize your tabs according to the numerous elements of your job. If you work for many businesses, this would be an excellent method to segregate logins such as Google.
- Low Power Mode – After being released on iOS, Low Power Mode has made its way to macOS Monterey. By reducing system clock speed and display brightness, this feature helps save battery life when it’s activated. Apple Silicon’s battery life is excellent, but any increase in capacity would be appreciated.
Is macOS Monterey Worth Upgrading?
macOS Monterey brings new features to FaceTime, Notes, and the Safari web browser. With such a huge upgrade in the interface, macOS is worth upgrading. With such features, the experience of the users will become more friendly. But, this upgrade is rolling out on limited models. Let’s have a look at models that are supporting this update.
Which Devices are supporting macOS Monterey?
The macOS Monterey will be compatible with a wide range of Apple devices, including ones that were released years ago. In addition to newer Macs and MacBooks, the update will be available for the following computers.
- iMac – 2015 and later
- iMac Pro – 2017 and later
- MacBook Air – Early 2015 and later
- MacBook Pro – Early 2015 and later
- Mac Pro – Late 2013 and later
- Mac mini – Late 2014 and later
- MacBook – Early 2016 and later
How to Download and Install macOS Monterey?
The process of downloading and installing macOS Monterey after its release is pretty simple. After 25th October, you can easily download this update if your device is supporting this update. Follow the below steps to install this update.
- Please check if your device is compatible with the update.
- Make a backup of your Mac just to be sure. You don’t want to take the chance of losing everything during an update.
- Navigate to System Preferences > Software Update on your Mac. Locate MacOS Big Monterey. Click on “Upgrade Now”. The download will begin instantly but may take some time to complete.
- After downloading and installing the update, restart your computer.
- After restarting, you’ll be good to go to use the all-new macOS Monterey.
According to my, this upgrade brings a good amount of changes for the user. So, it is surely something to vote for. If you are using a compatible device, do upgrade for a better experience.