Cannes 2021 shall be a memory for the audience in so many ways but for obvious reasons, how it officially saw and end.
The Jury President, Spike Lee went a little overboard and made an announcement of Palme d’Or winner Titane. This was an accident and only later, names of all the best performances and films were released.
Spike Lee was the president and there were many other jury members that included Mati Diop, the director; Mylene Farmer, singer; Melanie Laurent, actress/director; Maggie Gyllenhaal, actress/director; Kleber Mendonça Filho, writer/director; Song Kang-ho, actor; Jessica Hausner, writer/director; and actor Tahar Rahim.
Moving forward, you will find the full list of winners.
Cannes 2021 – Here’s the ”Winners” List!
Surely Lee slipped her tongue, only to later apologize.
Spike Lee added – “In 63 years of life I’ve learned that people get a second chance, this is my second chance,” he said. “I apologize for messing up. It took a lot of suspense out of the night I understand, it wasn’t on purpose.”
Sharon Stone, the final stage, later joined the stage soon after which the winner announcement took place.
The top prize was for Palme d’Or.
Winners on the Way!
- Palme d’Or: Julia Ducournau for ”Titane” (France)
- Best first film: Antoneta Kusijanovic for “Murina” (Croatia)
- Best screenplay: Hamaguchi Ryusuke and Takamasa Oe for “Drive My Car” (Japan)
- Grand Prix: Shared by Ashgar Farhadi for “A Hero” (Iran) and Juho Kuosmanen for “Compartment No.6” (Finland)
- Best short film: Hong Kong’s “All The Crows In The World” Tang Yi
- Best actor: Caleb Landry Jones for “Nitram” (US)
- Jury prize: Shared by Nadav Lapid for “Ahed’s Knee” (Israel) and Apichatpong Weerasethakul for “Memoria” (Thailand)
- Best director: Leos Carax “Annette” (France)
- Best actress: Renate Reinsve for “Worst Person in the World” (Norway)
There were more prizes for other categories!
- Camera d’Or: Murina, Antoneta Alamat Kusijanovic
- Queer Palm: ‘The Divide’
- Short Films Special Mention: August Sky, Jasmin Tenucci
- Golden Eye Documentary Prize: A Night of Knowing Nothing, Payal Kapadia
- Short Films Palme d’Or: ‘All the Crows in the World’, Tang Yi
Critics’ Week Awards
- Nespresso Grand Prize: ‘Feathers’, Omar El Zohairy
- Louis Roederer Foundation Rising Star Award: Sandra Melissa Torres, ‘Amparo’
- Society of Dramatic Authors and Composers Prize: Elie Grappe and Raphaelle Desplechin, ‘Olga’
- GAN Foundation Award for Distribution: Elie Grappe and Raphaelle Desplechin, ‘Zero Fucks Given’
- First Prize: ‘The Salamander Child’, Theo Degen
- Third Prize — Tie: ‘Love Stories on the Move’, Carina-Gabriela Dasoveanu and ‘Cantareira’, Rodrigo Ribeyro
- Second Prize: ‘Salamander’, Yoon Daewoon
We have made sure to cover the full list of winners. Last year, Cannes was canceled. Therefore, this time Cannes 2021 was a huge hit.
Back in 2019, ‘Parasite’ took away Palme d’Or followed by many more awards.