While the “Swifties” struggled with Ticketmaster to fetch a ticket for Taylor Swift’s ‘Eras’ tour on Tuesday (Nov. 15), some were busy with another important chore. Yes, the 2023 Grammy nominations have been announced, and there are more than a few snubs in the upcoming Grammy Awards.
Who Is Snubbed For 2023 Grammys?
On Tuesday (Nov. 15), the Recording Academy announced the 2023 Grammy nominations, and honestly, some of them have truly irritated those who were closely following the list. This time Recording Academy has left us with more than a few snubs as talented artists and worthy albums were completely ignored from the list.
If you aren’t updated, legendary artists like Florence+, Rosalía and Taylor Swift were snubbed in major categories while talents like Mitski and Charlie XCX were not even considered. Here are the biggest snubs from the 2023 Grammy Awards.
- Rosalía’s “Motomami” would’ve also been a worthy album of the year contender.
- Maggie Rogers was completely ignored despite giving us one of the year’s best albums.
- Florence + The Machine’s alt-pop triumph “Dance Fever” also didn’t make it to the list.
- “Red (Taylor’s Version)” definitely deserved a nod for best country album.
- Mitski’s “Laurel Hell”, one of this year’s earliest triumphs, was a true fit in several categories.
- Charli XCX’s “Crash” was worthy of a nomination but the artist was completely ignored.
- Demi Lovato’s “Skin Of My Teeth” deserved a name under best rock song and “29” was a fit under best rock album, but sadly, they didn’t receive a single nomination this year.
- Noah Kahan’s “Stick Season,” is a striking folk ballad about love lost and misplaced blame, sadly the single didn’t receive a nomination despite sending submissions in four categories – record of the year, song of the year, best American roots performance, and best American roots song.
- Dove Cameron deserved a nod for the best new artist this year after queer anthem “Boyfriend” and the sharp political pop of “Breakfast”. Apart from this, Lizzy McAlpine’s “Five Seconds” was also completely ignored under the said category.
- Megan Thee Stallion may have been completely erased from the Recording Academy’s memory. Ever since she receievd the “Best New Artist” in 2021, the Academy felt like its work had been done. Last year, she has only one nomination. Even, her debut album “Good News” was ignored. Now, despite receiving heavy applause for “Traumazine”, she did not receive a single nomination this year.
- Nicki Minaj didn’t receive a single nomination this year despite having one of the biggest songs of the summer, “Super Freaky Girl.
- Kanye West didn’t receive any nominations for “Donda 2” this year. Well, the news is hardly surprising, considering the fact that his controversies have outweighed his talent.
What Are The Surprises?
The 2023 Grammy nominations have truly disappointed fans at large, considering the above snubs. But hey, the list includes more than a few surprises too. For instance, no one considered that Gayle’s Count von Count pop song “abcdefu” would be nominated for Song of the Year. Well, seems like the members of the Recording Academy are spending more time on TikTok.
On the other hand, another surprise that seems to be worthy is Viola Davis’s nomination. The American actress has been nominated for Best Audio Book, Narration, and Storytelling Recording for her book, Finding Me. Now if she wins, Viola will officially get the EGOT status. But hey, what do you think about this year’s snubs? Aren’t you disappointed with the list?