Some weeks you adult so hard you need a cupcake…or twelve. These cupcakes conjure the same, soothing, warming notes as chai with a batter chock full of all the same masala you would find in your cup – fresh ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and fennel. The frosting, too, is spiced making this a must-make when you’ve adulted hard and want a treat. Have your cupcake and eat, it, too!
Masala Cupcakes with Spiced Frosting
makes 1 dozen cupcakes
- 1 stick or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel powder
- 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon finely minced or grated ginger (squeeze juice and use as well)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
- 12 candied ginger pieces OR cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin tin/cups with paper lining. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry items: flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, green cardamom powder, salt, nutmeg powder, and fennel powder.
- Gradually add dry mixture to creamed mixture; add milk and ginger to mixture.
- Fill lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
(Note: Do NOT apply frosting until cupcakes are completely cooled!)
For the frosting: Using a stand or hand mixer and beat butter until fluffy; mix in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, cinnamon powder, and ginger powder and beat to combine. Do NOT add all the milk at once. Add 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency. Pipe frosting over cupcakes. Garnish with candied ginger or cinnamon (optional).